The Earth Partners is a limited partnership that grew out of a joint venture between Brinkman & Associates Reforestation, a leading Canadian silviculture and forest management company, and Applied Ecological Services (AES), a leading US-based ecological restoration company. These two operating partners provides significant at-risk development capital and human resources that are available to management. The Earth Partners’ 8 full-time professionals, combined with 12 dedicated AES and Brinkman technical specialists who are integrated into project teams, creates a flexible team with interdisciplinary skills encompassing project development, bioenergy, ecology, GIS mapping, land management, finance, and environmental assets. The Earth Partners has fully integrated all of this expertise and distinguishes itself in the following ways:
- Restoration focus ensures sourcing biomass only where there are demonstrable landowner and environmental benefits, which is critical to landowner engagement. The Earth Partners leverages Applied Ecological Services to ensure that restoration objectives are met in a cost-effective way.
- Understanding of the biomass assets through efficient inventory tools to assess the quantities and distributions of the biomass at a high confidence level as well as the varying removal/harvesting costs of the biomass by location.
- Managing large-scale projects to cost effectively oversee contracting operations by leveraging the experience of Brinkman & Associates, which in its core business manages the harvesting and transporting of over one half million tons of woody biomass per year.
- Deal structuring experience to enter into long-term agreements with multiple landowners as well as how to structure long-term biomass purchase agreements with large counterparties, thereby de-risking the project.
- Policy compliance and influence to ensure that the biomass is certified as sustainable under emerging regulations and protocols, including carbon-neutrality requirements.